Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Monthly magazine feature – April edition

Hello crafty friends,


This is take 3 on my monthly feature where I create a card (or more) from the included stamp sets or other goodies the company has added.  

This set is very much a Spring theme that can extend beyond Easter.  Do you know a gardener?  This set has the cutest stamps to create a garden scene.  If you are into scene building, this is the type of set you would love.  Creating scenes are not my typical “thing” but I wanted to do at least one card like that.



This involved a “lot” of masking so it requires some patience, but the result is so worth it.  I considered lots of possible ways I could have colored it and decided to watercolor with the new Distress Oxide inks to get a shabby chic look and feel.  I am posting some pictures of the process of masking since I did not create a video for this post.

You have to plan out the order to stamp in so that the images appear in front of or behind the desired object correctly.  You have to stamp the item that will be in front first, then mask it before stamping the image that will be "behind" it.

I messed up on the hydrangea but fixed it by stamping it again on a separate sheet of paper, then fussy cutting it out to place on top of the pot.  The first picture shows all my prepared masks.  I stamped with Hero Arts charcoal ink so the outlines were not stark black.



Before coloring the stamped images, I put the masks on all of them so I could add the background color.  For the sky I used a piece of cardstock torn unevenly (shown in the picture below) and applied blue china ink with an ink applicator tool, moving the cardstock periodically to leave some white spaces for clouds.


For the grass I applied the Distress Oxide Peeled Paint ink with an applicator tool, then stamped with the grass stamp over it to add the grass blade detail. 




Here's the extra hydrangea I had to create to fix my earlier mistake in stamping


Now here is the photo with most of the coloring done except for the hydrangea.  The wheelbarrow and flower pot were colored with the Barn Door Distress Oxide and the watering can in a combination of the Iced Spruce Distress Oxide and the Charcoal Hero Arts ink.  I also used the charcoal color to color the wheel of the wheelbarrow and the handles.





I stamped the sentiment in the same dark gray ink.

Next I die cut two fence pieces to layer on top of this panel.  I added foam adhesive tape to pop them up.




Instead of layering the card on top of another piece of cardstock I decided to take the card base in a mellow peachy orange color and die cut a rectangle out so it would frame the watercolor panel.  Once I glued the panel on the inside of the frame, I added another piece of white cardstock behind it to hide the watercolor bleed through.  I used the Misti to help me determine placement before running through the Big Shot.









Card #2 – The spinner card
Anyone who has seen the majority of my work will know I truly love interactive cards…..like a LOT.  So the first card in this post will be the redheaded stepchild to me, but I try to love all my cards equally.



One of the first things I noticed about this set was the bunny stamps – they included the front and back view so of course I thought it would make a great spinner.

I kept the rest of the card simple.  To create the window I die cut a circle from my oh so favorite Die-namics circle STAX set from the card base (a white A2 sized base from 110# white cardstock).  Next I cut a panel from a pretty pastel paper with teapots on it a ½ smaller than the base and die cut a circle from it to line up over the card front.

Spinner piece:

I stamped the bunnies with black ink, then added a little bit of color with a light gray SN marker around the edge and some pink to the inside of the ears.  I fussy cut the images and before gluing together, put glue on the back of one, laid white thread across it, then pressed the other bunny image on top. 

To attach this to the card base I added two strips of double sided Be Creative tape at the top and bottom of the opening on the inside of the card base.  I laid the thread and bunny piece across the window so the thread would be glued to the trips of tape on the inside.  To cover up the strings on the inside front panel, I had another white panel ready with the circle die cut out. 

Inside of card:

I added a circle die cut of a coordinating paper so that it would be visible “through” the die cut window.

I added the die cut fence pieces onto the bottom part of the patterned paper to finish off the card as well as some lilac colored Nuvo drops.

If you haven't checked out my Instagram account you might wish to so you can see the bunny doing it's spinning action.  It's really cute!

Thanks for stopping by today.  Please consider leaving a comment to let me know what you think about these cards.  I always love reading your feedback.

Hugs,

Teresa



6 comments:

  1. Hi Teresa, loved this post! These bunnies are too cute and I liked your description of the steps. Well done!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all three cards but the spinner is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% in agreement on the spinner! thanks for your feedback!

      Delete