Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Spooky Cauldron card for So Suzy Stamps

Hello crafty friends,

I'm so excited to share this Halloween card project with you.  A witch's cauldron is often used in Halloween decor and I wanted to make it the focal point of today's creation.  From the swirly background effect to the spider web and goo spilling over the edge I used some fun techniques to pull this all together.


Background:

I used yupo paper (which is a very smooth, plastic finish surface) to make the background.  Starting with a 5" x 7" piece of this paper, I dripped the three Ranger alcohol inks in various places across the background (Wild Plum, Purple Twilight and Silver fixative), then dripped the alcohol blending solution on top of the colors to start them spreading out.  To further encourage the process, I blew air through a straw to force the ink to move and cover the whole surface.  If there was any white space left, just added a drop in that spot, more blending solution and then blew air through the straw again.

I set the background aside to dry while preparing the cauldron.

Cauldron:

stamped the bowl with versmark ink onto black cardstock, then sprinkled on silver embossing powder and heat set it.  Also stamped the "trick or treat" sentiment stamp the same way and heat set silver embossing powder.  To add texture to the surface of the bowl, I stamped the Versamark ink pad all over the surface of the bowl, making sure to thoroughly coat the surface.  I then added clear embossing powder all over the bowl and heat set that.  This results in an uneven textured surface, which is exactly what I was going for.



Putting the card front together:

Before adding the cauldron to the background, I stamped the swirly stars stamp onto the yupo paper background above where I would be placing the cauldron.  I put a bit more pressure on it and tried moving it slightly to more resemble bubbles rising out of the cauldron.

I added foam tape to the back of the cauldron before adhering it to the background.

To get the "goo" at the top, I used Pink glow in the dark Nuvo drops to simulate the drips, then waited a few minutes before dripping the Alcohol ink sparingly over the top of it so it would better match the background.  If I'd had purple drops in my stash I would've used those, but this worked perfectly, and actually in the end I really liked how the two colors blended a bit during the drying process.



After the drops were completely dry (I waited overnight to be safe) I added the spider webbing (same stuff you buy from your local Halloween costume store for home decor) around the edges with the excess folded around the back.  To ensure that it stayed in place, I used a box to put the card front in face down, then sprayed the back with adhesive.  Then I glued down the card front onto an A6 card base 9" x 6.25, scored at 4.5" (made from black 110 lb cardstock.  Card dimensions being 4.5" x 6.25".  

For the final touch I glued on a plastic spider (also from the Halloween store) to the top left corner.

Thank you so much for stopping by today.  If you liked this project, please let me know by leaving a comment.  If you like to use Pinterest, here is a special picture for you to link to if you'd like to save this to your board.



Until next time!

Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment